Connect with us

Entertainment

Hong Kong film censorship law ‘very concerned’

Published

on

Hong Kong film censorship law 'very concerned'


Hong Kong’s filmmakers are worried as new legislation is proposed that will inject a national security factor into Hong Kong’s censorship system. The law gives government officials retroactive powers to change previously issued exhibition approvals and provides for a three-year prison sentence for violations.

“We are very concerned,” said Tenki Tin, the executive chairman of the Hong Kong Film Writers Association. Variety. “Our biggest concern is whether we are breaking the law.”

“Trade has a lot of questions. We had meetings with officials mainly to ask them what was allowed and what was not. However, the government has not come up with a concrete answer,” Mabel Cheung, eminent director and producer of Hong Kong’s signature emotional film “Echoes of the Rainbow,” told RTHK broadcaster on Wednesday.

Cheung also expressed concern over proposals that filmmakers have no appeal mechanism if censorship raises national security objections. Their only way is through judicial review by the courts.

Other filmmakers say the new law poses greater risk to investors. This can lead to depletion of funds for the industry.

Commerce Secretary Edward Yau said Tuesday that the amendment to the film censorship ordinance is an example of the July 2021 National Security Act being implemented in all sectors. He said the bill would provide a clear legal framework for regulation in the sector.

But the creative nature of filmmaking makes it difficult to align the sector with new and tougher national security issues, Tin said. There are serious concerns about whether fictional events such as crime, police challenges or terrorism could lead to national security concerns for filmmakers, he said.

Tin cites a 2018 case in which two prop makers were found guilty of possessing counterfeit bills. That’s because the counterfeit bills provided for the crime film “Tribisa” looked too realistic, despite being clearly marked as props. In the future, such incidents could be considered national security crimes.

The revision of the film censorship guidelines was proposed in June, and the amendment to the film censorship law, which will come into effect in September, follows the cancellation of the screening of ‘Red Brick Wall’, which was released in March. The award-winning documentary feature of the 2019 Hong Kong protests was approved by censors, but the exhibitor was pressured by pro-Chinese media to cancel its release.

The film’s non-profit distributor, Ying E Chi, continued to be targeted by state media and was revoked from the Arts Development Council. On Tuesday, the Jockey Club Creative Arts Center also refused to renew Ying E Chi’s office lease. Distributors must move into the new building by December.

Ming Pao newspaper said on Wednesday that film censorship authorities have already adopted a more interventionist approach reminiscent of mainland Chinese regulators. The newspaper recently reported that the short film ‘Far From Home’ had been advised to cut 14 scenes and change the title. The censors also wanted to add a warning that the activities depicted in the film could be criminal.

Despite strong government controls over the creative sector, Tin argues that the situation in Hong Kong is “not yet as extreme as in mainland China.” “There is still freedom in Hong Kong,” he said. “We just hope that it doesn’t keep getting worse and that one day the situation will ease.”

Rather than waiting to stumble over the crackdown. Tin confirmed that some Hong Kong filmmakers have moved out of the city. According to locally released statistics, approximately 90,000 people have permanently left the city in the 12 months after the National Security Act came into force. “This is true and this is their choice,” said Tin.





Originally reported by Source link

The featured images are, as they appear on the original report.

Entertainment

Netflix Should Face Chess Great’s ‘Queens Gambit’ Litigation

Published

on

Netflix Should Face Chess Great's 'Queens Gambit' Litigation


A judge on Thursday refused to dismiss a lawsuit filed by a Georgia chess master who allegedly defamed an episode of the Netflix series “The Queen’s Gambit.”

Nona Gaprindashvili, a prominent Soviet chess player in the 1960s, sued Netflix in a federal court in September. She challenged a line in the series where Gaprindashvili falsely stated that she had “never met a man”. Gaprindashvili claimed that the line was “extremely sexist and demeaning,” noting that by 1968, the year the series began, it actually faced 59 male competitors.

Netflix tried to dismiss the lawsuit, alleging that the show was fictional and that the First Amendment gave the show’s creators a broad artistic license.

But in Thursday’s ruling, US District Judge Virginia A. Phillips disagreed with the fact that Gaprindashvili had made plausible allegations that she had defamed her. Phillips also argued that fictional works are not exempt from defamation lawsuits if they defame a real person.

“Netflix does not cite cases that exclude defamation claims depicting real people in fictional works,” Phillips wrote, “and the courts are not aware of it.” “The fact that a series is a work of fiction does not protect Netflix from liability for defamation if all elements of the defamation exist otherwise.”

‘Queen’s Gambit’ is based on the novel by Walter Tevis in 1983 and tells the story of Beth Harmon, a fictional American who became an international chess champion in the 1960s. In the final episode, set in Moscow, Harmon defeats her male rival. The chess announcer explains that her opponent underestimated him. Her only peculiarity about her is actually her sex. And it’s not just in Russia. She has Nona Gaprindashvili, but she is a women’s world champion and has never played against a man.”

Netflix relied on two chess experts to get the details right, and claimed that the show’s creators didn’t offend Gaprindashvili.

The streamer’s lawyer argued that “the reference to the plaintiff in the series is not intended to disparage her, but to acknowledge her.”

In her ruling, Phillips noted that the show’s theme had to do with breaking gender barriers. But she said the show could be seen as building on the fictitious Harmon’s achievements by ignoring the real Gaprindashvili’s.

“The average viewer would ‘disparage the achievements of the plaintiff’ of Line as plaintiff asserts.[ying] ‘The stigma that women bear the symbol of inferiority’ could be overcome by the fictional American woman Harmon, but not by the plaintiffs,” the judge wrote. “At least, that line ignores the achievements that are essential to the reputation of the plaintiff.”

Netflix relied heavily on an appeal ruling in a similar case involving actress Olivia de Havilland. In that case, de Havilland sued FX Networks for opposing her portrayal in the Ryan Murphy series “Feud”. The Court of Appeal dismissed the suit, finding that the creators had considerable artistic freedom to portray real people. The ruling was well received in the entertainment industry.

The de Havilland incident involves fictional dialogues between actors who play real people. The Court of Appeal ruled that these scenes would be understood as an adaptation rather than a transcribed script from real life. Phillips ruled that otherwise, viewers could leave the show with the false impression that Gaprindashvili had never met a man.

Netflix also states that “The Queen’s Gambit” is “characters and events depicted in this show are fictitious. It is not intended to depict real people or events.” However, the judge ruled that it was not sufficient to dispel the notion that the show was making factual claims.

“Therefore, in context, Netflix[ed] impression that [it] were asserting objective facts,’ wrote Phillips. “Plaintiff asserts sufficiently false that Line is ‘reasonably sensitive to interpretations that imply verifiable false claims of fact’.”

Netflix declined to comment on the ruling.

EDIT: This story originally portrayed Gaprindashvili as a Russian. She is from the Republic of Georgia.





Originally reported by Source link

The featured images are, as they appear on the original report.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Ron Perlman doesn’t want to play Hellboy 3, but fans say he deserves it

Published

on


Ron Perlman is reluctant to do so Hellboy 3 but still fans believe the film deserves to be involved.

In 2004, Ron Perlman first created the role of Guillermo del Toro and Toruk. The film itself was well received by critics, but did not achieve great financial success. With a budget of $ 66 million, it earned less than $ 100 million worldwide. The film itself, however, got a fairly good result in home media formats, and the sequel was highlighted in green.

Read more, Hellboy 2: The Golden Army It was also well received by critics, but with a budget of $ 88 million, it was able to earn $ 168 million worldwide. It was also backed by home media sales that allowed for the proposed third payment, Hellboy 3, transition to development. Unfortunately, the film fell into a hell of a development. and remains one of the projects above the heads of Ron Perlman and Guillermo del Toro.

Although we appeared in place of the third Ron Perlman Hellboy film, we took his place Hellboy Reboot played by David Harbor. The actor himself admitted that he had never seen the film and had no interest in watching it, and it seems that most viewers and critics were with him on this. The film was criticized by critics and grossed just over $ 55 million worldwide with a budget of $ 50 million.

since Hellboy 3Both Ron Perlman and director Guillermo del Toro continued their careers. The director has won two Oscars, and Ron Perlman continues to star in several films. When talking to The IndependentPerlman admitted that he was reluctant to play the role of Hellboy again, citing his age, but still felt that he, del Toro and the studio owed it to the fans who invited the director to perform him:

“Am I eager to play Hellboy 3? No, I am 71 years old. We owe it to the fans. And that would be an epic conclusion because we have to give it to them. So, Guillermo, if you’re studying, I’m not going to beat you up to finish this scam. ”

Here is the official summary of David Harbor Hellboy:

Based on Mike Mingola’s graphic novels, Hellboy, trapped between the supernatural and the human worlds, fights an ancient wizard who is determined to take revenge.

Directed by Neil Marshall, co-written by screenwriter Mike Mingola, Andrew Cosby and Christopher Golden. Hellboy Starring David Harbor, Milla Jovovich, Ian McShane, Sasha Lane, Penelope Mitchell, Daniel De Kim.

Hellboy Now available on Digital HD, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD. Stay up to date with the latest news on the future of the franchise sign up for To Heroic Hollywood’s YouTube channel for original video content.

A source: The Independent



Originally reported by Source link

The featured images are, as they appear on the original report.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Now how Schneider revolutionized “Danger”!

Published

on



Excellent engineering manager and now former a threat! On January 26, contestant Amy Schneider finished her first race on the show.

Schneider was the second transgender competitor to take the podium (after Kate Freeman in 2020). A 42-year-old resident of Auckland, California, shared his love of reading and amazing intelligence with people all over the country this season. a threat.

Below we will look at how he made his time special and important in detail.

His income

Schneider ended his successful series with 40 wins in a row, the most in the show’s history. She broke the previous record set by Julia Collins in 2014 and is the highest-paid woman on the show of all time. Schneider has won the second-most wins since Ken Jennings – he still has 74 wins in a row and is currently split in two. Taking on responsibilities with Maim Bialik.

Spectators at the house looked forward to seeing him win under his rule. Brain took home a total of $ 1,382,800, placing it fourth in all-time regular winnings. He is the next winner after Jennings ($ 2,520,700), followed by James Holzhauer ($ 2,462,216) and Matt Amodio ($ 1,518,601).

His Spirit

When Schneider filmed the show for the first time, he vowed to “be himself,” and won the hearts of viewers across the country.

In each episode, he shared a new, interesting fact about himself. Among them: His pre-show song is Eminem’s “Lose Yourself.” According to Schneider, he thinks about the lyrics before the competition. The heroic superstar also wore his signature pearls every night. After her first episode, the pearl that her beloved Genevieve gave her became the most important thing. According to Schneider, he wore them to commemorate the fact that Genevieve was always with him and supported him in California. Fans at home are fed up with the sensation of this quiz show and its accessories.

Jennings and Bialik congratulated Schneider on his character and skill.

Its representation and appearance

As the show’s biggest winner, a transgender champion and the first transgender participant in the Champions Tournament, Schneider has already broken many glass ceilings.

“His appearance has become a bright spot, allowing millions of people to root for his success and start talking about being transgender, while bills are being proposed in Arizona, Iowa, Indiana, Oklahoma, South Dakota and Ohio’s home state of Ohio. Transgender people are being targeted for discrimination. Now the achievements are celebrated with Jeopardy for many years! fans and LGBTQ people everywhere. said Nick Adams, director of GLAAD’s Transgender Representation, in a statement following his latest episode.

Last week, Ms. GLAAD Schneider announced that she would receive a special award at the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Award, which honors the media for its best coverage of LGBT people and issues.

His victories on the show brought joy and a worthy representation to many people.

Schneider serves as a beacon of victory and a shining beacon, and his community is grateful.

Schneider continued to say thank you a threat! The audience and its winner congratulate Rona Talsman on her defeat.

Viewers can look forward to Schneider returning to the show at the Champions Tournament this fall.

a threatOn weekdays, check your local lists





Originally reported by Source link

The featured images are, as they appear on the original report.

Continue Reading

Celebs

Celebs31 mins ago

Chris Brown responded after a woman accused of raping him filed a lawsuit

Chris Brown The woman who allegedly raped him recently filed a lawsuit. See the latest reports below. “According to @TMZ_tv,...

Celebs13 hours ago

David Adefeso spends valuable time with his family

David Adefeso is spending precious time with his family. Check out the post he left on his social media page....

Celebs23 hours ago

2012 fashion flashback: Angelina’s right foot and the highlights of the red carpet ten years ago | Gallery

By Wonderwall.com Editors 9:14 PST, January 27, 2022 _ One of the most memorable moments of the red carpet of...

Celebs1 day ago

Gabriel Union is praising the special lady mentioned in Forbes magazine

Gabrielle Union Forbes praises the special lady mentioned. Below you can check out the post he shared on his social...

Celebs1 day ago

Adele’s stresses with boyfriend played a role in Vegas residency debacle | Gallery

By Jessica Wedemeyer 4:42am PST, Jan 27, 2022 — Wonderwall.com is taking a look back at the stars who found love,...

Celebs1 day ago

Porscha Williams shares the best reviews for bare hair

Porscha Williams shared the best reviews for her Go Naked hair line. See his post and some of these comments...

Celebs1 day ago

Celebrities with similar children | Gallery

By Wonderwall.com Editors 20:02 PST, January 26, 2022 _ Do you see both sides? Wonderwall.com It has collected interesting pictures...

Celebs2 days ago

David Adefeso offers fans more financial advice, telling them that their savings accounts are a bad investment

David Adefeso just told fans and followers that their savings account was a bad investment. See what else he has...

Celebs2 days ago

Madonna wants to “bring back” the kiss of the famous Britney Spears on a joint tour and more news | Gallery

By Wonderwall.com Editors 14:30 PST, January 26, 2022 Madonna is on tour with Britney Spears Britney Spears has an open...

Celebs2 days ago

Megan Hood filed for divorce and her fans supported her

Megan Good has appealed for her divorce and fans are supporting her through social media. Check out the full report...

Trending